Title: The 5 Step Essay Writing Process
ESL Student course IEWAP-EWP, “The 5 Step Essay Writing Process,” outlines the basic steps for English essay writing. You will:
- Learn an easy 5 step English writing process
- Master the use of the English writing process
- Improve your basic English Writing Skills
- Establish yourself as a more professional English essay writer
- Achieve a better grades and results
- Accelerate your English learning
- Position yourself for success in academic goals
- Build your self-confidence
- Reinforce your leanings through Journal Writing
Stephen E. Dew, who has over 5 years practical teaching experience in English academic writing to ESL students for undergraduate entrance requirements, is the author of the Academic Writing Skills series and the instructor of the AWS ESL Student Academy.
On completion of the course, ESL students should be able to:
- List the 5 basic steps in the English Writing process
- Use the 5 basic pre-writing techniques
- Be able to prepare a detailed outline
- Understand what the review process is and how to do it
- Write an essay using the 5 step English writing process
List of topics:
|Topic contents||Fundamental concepts|
|Lesson 1||Introduction and process overview to the 5 step English Essay writing process.|
|Lesson 2||Detailed process for step 1 (pre-write), step 2 (organize) , and step 3 (first draft).|
|Lesson 3||Detailed process for step 4 (polish) and 5 (final copy).|
|Lesson 4||5 step essay writing process summary and final assessment.|
|Assignment lesson 1||Quiz||10|
|Assignment lesson 2||Writing assignment||20|
|Assignment lesson 3||Writing assignment||20|
|Final assessment lesson 4||Writing assignment||50|
|A||90 - 100%|
|B||80 - 89%|
|C||70 - 79%|
|D||60 - 69%|
|F||Fail, achievement less than 60% (re-enroll)|
Recommended learning resources:
All learning resources are provided after registration the ESL student course. Note: Course materials are based on the book The 5 Step Essay Writing Process. 1
Addition Learning resources:
- Dew, Stephen E., (2013). Learn English Paragraph Writing Skills. Phnom Penh, Cambodia: hbicambodia.com.
- Dew, Stephen E., (2013). Practical Academic Essay Writing Skills. Phnom Penh, Cambodia: hbicambodia.com.
- Dew, Stephen E., (2014). English Writing Exercises for International Students: Phnom Penh, Cambodia. hbicambodia.com.
- Oshima, A., & Hogue, A. (1997). Introduction to Academic Writing, 3rd ed. White Plains, NY: Longman.
- Swan, M. (2005). Practical English Usage, 3rd edn.Oxford: Oxford University Press.
|Week||Day||Topic||Requirements / Reading|
|1||1 & 2||Pre-work||Pre-work
|1||3||Lesson 1||Complete assignment 1 by day 4.|
|1||4||Lesson 2||Complete assignment 2 by day 5.|
|1||5||Lesson 3||Complete assignment 3 by day 6.|
|1||6||Your personal review time.||Review all the lessons.|
|1||7||Lesson 4||Complete final assessment by day 8.|
|2||9||Your journal is due for assessment.|
|2||11||Assessment results given.|
|2||12||Certificate presented upon successfully meeting the course requirements.|
Instructor Name: Stephen E. Dew
Other information: This is a self paced online course.
Details of course website:
Use of the Educator learning platform: Educator is a web-based learning platform that the AWS Student Academy uses to help manage teaching and learning in the online course. On the website, hbicambodia.com, you will find:
- All resource material
- A list of lessons and assignments
- A link to a forum at the AWS ESL Student Academy discussion site
- On-line assesments both quizzes and written
- Your own personal grade sheet.
You will use some of these tools later in the course, but for now I just want to make sure you can access the Educator platform online training courses.
1. First, go to the learning website home page by following these steps:
- Click on to your browser, for example Internet Explorer or Firefox: http://hbicambodia.com
- On the top menu of the site you will see the heading “Course Descriptions.” Click the course you desire.
- Read the course description.
2. Second, on the learning website home page, Click the desired course of study and enroll.
3. Finally, begin your course and complete the course requirements.
If you have any problems with please contact admin.
- What do I do if I need more time? Contact admin and request an extension.
- For remarks or moderation, contact admin with a submission as to why your assignments should be reviewed.
- The required referencing format is APA format. You can read more about citation and referencing at http://hbicambodia.com/citation-and-referencing-english-writing-process.html
- You should make sure that all submitted work is your own.
Note: Plagiarism is defined as copying or paraphrasing another’s work, whether intentionally or otherwise, and presenting it as one’s own. Any student found responsible for plagiarism in any piece of work submitted for assessment shall be subject to AWS Student Academy’s terms and agreement which may result in forfeiture of marks for the piece of work submitted, a zero grade for the written assessment, no certificate awarded, or in extreme cases exclusion from the AWS ESL Student Academy programs.
- Dew, Stephen E. (2013). The 5 Step Essay Writing process. Phnom Penh, Cambodia: hbicambodia.com ↩