Title: Practical Academic Essay Writing Skills
Table of Contents
Course Overview: IEWAP-EEW
By learning practical academic English essay writing skills, you will become a better academic English essay writer and accomplish your dream, whether it be a BA or a professional aspiration, by developing and enhancing your English essay writing knowledge and understanding of English essay structure.
ESL Student course IEWAP-EEW, “Practical Academic Essay Writing Skills,” outlines the basic process and English essay writing skills and knowledge required for an academic English essay.
- Improve your basic English essay writing knowledge and skills.
- Look much more adept and professional in your English academic writing.
- Demonstrate to your peers how easy practical academic essay writing skills really are.
- Impress your professors and lecturers at university or in your regular English classes.
- Boost your self-confidence in academic English essay writing.
- Improve your grades and results.
Stephen E. Dew, who has over 5 years practical teaching experience in English academic writing to ESL students for undergraduate entrance requirements, is the author of the Academic Writing Skills series and the instructor of the AWS ESL Student Academy.
On completion of the practical academic essay writing skills course, ESL students should be able to:
- Understand the different English essay types.
- Be able to define unity and coherence.
- Learn transition signals for different English essay types.
- Understand parallel structure.
- Know the parts of an English essay and their purpose.
- Know what a detailed outline is and how to write one.
- Improve academic English essay writing process skills.
List of topics:
|Topic contents||Fundamental concepts|
|Lesson 1||Introduction and overview of academic essay writing.|
|Lesson 2||Essay types|
|Lesson 3||Essay organisation|
|Lesson 4||Essay structure|
|Lesson 5||Essay outline|
|Lesson 6||Practical English essay writing process|
|Lesson 7||Summary and final assesment|
|Assignment lesson 1||Quiz||10|
|Assignment lesson 2||Quiz||10|
|Assignment lesson 3||Quiz||10|
|Assignment lesson 4||Quiz||10|
|Assignment lesson 5||Writing assignment||10|
|Assignment lesson 6||Writing assignment||20|
|Final assessment lesson 7||Writing assignment||30|
|A||90 - 100%|
|B||80 - 89%|
|C||70 - 79%|
|D||60 - 69%|
|F||Fail, achievement less than 60% (re-enroll)|
Recommended learning resources:
All learning resources are provided after registration the ESL student course. Note: Course materials are based on the book Practical Academic Essay Writing Skills. 1
Additional learning resources:
- Dew, Stephen E., (2013). The 5 Step Essay Writing Process, Cambodia: hbicambodia.com.
- Dew, Stephen E., (2013). Learn Paragraph Writing Skills. Phnom Penh, Cambodia: hbicambodia.com.
- Dew, Stephen E., (2014). English Writing Exercises for International Students: Phnom Penh, Cambodia. hbicambodia.com.
- Knight, Robert M., (2003). A Journalalistic Approach to Good Writing: Wiley (2003).
- Osima, Alice. & Hogue, Ane, (1997). Introduction to Academic Writing (2nd edn): White Plains, NY. Addison Wesly Longman.
IEWAP-EEW ScheduleExpected time frames for course completion.
|Week||Day||Topic||Requirements / Reading|
|1||1 & 2||Pre-work||Pre-work
|1||3||Lesson 1||Complete assignment 1 by day 4.|
|1||4||Lesson 2||Complete assignment 2 by day 5.|
|1||5||Lesson 3||Complete assignment 3 by day 6.|
|1||6||Lesson 4||Complete assignment 4 by day 7.|
|1||7||Lesson 5||Complete assignment 5 by day 8.|
|2||8||Lesson 6||Complete assignment 6 by day 9.|
|2||9||Your personal review time.||Review all the lessons.|
|2||10||Summary and final assessment lesson 7||Complete final assessment by day 11.|
|2||11||Your journal is due for assessment today, day 11.|
|2||12||Assessment correlation by the instructor.|
|2||13||Assessment results given.|
|2||14||Certificate presented upon successfully meeting the course requirements.|
Instructor Name: Stephen E. Dew
Other information: This is a self-paced online course.
Details of course website:
Use of the Educator learning platform: Educator is a web-based learning platform that the AWS Student Academy uses to help manage teaching and learning in the online course. On the website, hbicambodia.com, you will find:
- All resource material
- A list of lessons and assignments
- A link to a forum at the AWS ESL Student Academy discussion site
- On-line assessments both quizzes and written
- Your own personal grade sheet.
You will use some of these tools later in the course, but for now I just want to make sure you can access the Educator platform online training courses.
1. First, go to the learning website home page by following these steps:
- Click on to your browser, for example Internet Explorer or Firefox: http://hbicambodia.com
- On the top menu of the site you will see the heading “Course Descriptions.” Click the course you desire.
- Read the course description.
2. Second, on the learning website home page, Click the desired course of study and enroll.
3. Finally, begin your course and complete the course requirements.
If you have any problems with please contact admin.
- What do I do if I need more time? Contact admin and request an extension.
- For remarks or moderation, contact admin with a submission as to why your assignments should be reviewed.
- The required referencing format is APA format. You can read more about citation and referencing at http://hbicambodia.com/citation-and-referencing-English-writing-process.html
- You should make sure that all submitted work is your own.
Note: Plagiarism is defined as copying or paraphrasing another’s work, whether intentionally or otherwise, and presenting it as one’s own. Any student found responsible for plagiarism in any piece of work submitted for assessment shall be subject to AWS Student Academy’s terms and agreement which may result in forfeiture of marks for the piece of work submitted, a zero grade for the written assessment, no certificate awarded, or in extreme cases exclusion from the AWS ESL Student Academy programs.
- Dew, Stephen E., (2013). Practical Academic Essay Writing Skills. Phnom Penh, Cambodia: hbicambodia.com. ↩