Learn Report and Essay Writing Skills
The Secret to Improving ESL Reading and Essay Writing Skills
Although you might tend to focus on just one skill at a time in your ESL class, combining two in summary writing provides students with a greater range of information that can be used for future assignments. The structure of a single-paragraph summary will help reinforce the structure students need to write paragraphs in their essays.
Training for Report Writing Skills
The four basic steps of academic report writing skills:
3. Reference sources
View the video for more detail….
- Do not rewrite the original piece.
- Keep your summary short.
- Use your own wording.
- Refer to the central and main ideas of the original piece.
- Read with who, what, when, where, why and how questions in mind.
- Do not put in your opinion of the issue or topic discussed in the original piece.
The features of a summary:
1.Start your summary with a clear statement of the type of work, title, author, and main point in the present tense.
2.Check with your outline to make sure you have covered the most important points.
3.Never add any of your own ideas, opinions, or interpretation. This means be very careful of your word choice.
4. Write using “summarizing language.” Remind your reader that this is a report by using phrases such as the article claims, the author suggests, etc.
5.Write a complete bibliographic citation of your summary. A complete bibliographic citation includes the title of the work, the author, the source and use APA format.